first_img“We should expand our bus system not try to retreat,” he said. About 40 bus lines across Los Angeles could see changes to service if the MTA’s recommendations are adopted. Five public hearings are taking place around Los Angeles through next week. Bus riders could see changes by June 24. Calling the service reductions a violation of civil rights, the Bus Riders Union rallied Wednesday at Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue against the moves. The Los Angeles-based civil-rights organization urged their rejection by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina, chairwoman of the MTA board of directors. sue.doyle@dailynews.com (818) 713-3746160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! VAN NUYS – Linda Guajardo often works late at Universal Studios and she counts on the MTA’s 155 bus line to get home. But if the line loses its late night and Saturday service – as proposed by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority – she’ll have to take a bus all the way downtown to get to her home in Burbank. “That’s the only bus I have to rely on now,” said the 61-year-old commuter. Guajardo was one of about 60 residents on Wednesday night at a public hearing inside the Marvin Braude Constituent Service Sector to discuss proposed changes to eight MTA bus lines across the San Fernando Valley. Decisions will be made this spring by the San Fernando Valley Service Sector, a community-based governance arm of the MTA. Hours on three routes could be reduced and another one canceled altogether because MTA officials said there aren’t enough daily passengers to justify their operating costs. Four other bus lines may be shortened and two new ones added. Twice a year, the MTA reviews its bus lines and makes recommendations for changes. Richard Hunt, general manager of the Valley Service Sector, said the agency could invest money from the low-performing lines into other MTA services. In addition, the MTA will study an express line that would run between the Pasadena Gold Line and North Hollywood’s Orange and Red Line hub, making few stops along the way. Sheldon Walter, 79, and his wife, Beverly, 70, take the 239 to church on Sundays. The bus line could lose midday and weekend service because the MTA says there are not enough passengers on board. last_img read more


first_imgBarcelona have not given up on signing Arsenal and Liverpool target Nolito – and will attempt to tie up a deal before the summer.The 29-year-old looked set to return to his former club Barca during January but they failed to agree a deal with Celta Vigo and his move fell through at the 11th hour.The news came as a boost to both Arsenal and Liverpool, who have reportedly tracked the striker all year.The forward has hit eight goals in 15 La Liga outings so far this term and the form has impressed both the English sides.But according to reports in Spain, Barcelona are ready to go back to Celta Vigo to discuss a move ahead of the summer transfer window.Luis Enrique remains a big fan of Nolito and is determined not to let the £14m-rated hotshot leave Celta for anyone other than Barca. 1 Nolito in action for Celta Vigo last_img read more


first_imgA man pulled out a knife in a shop and threatened a 7-year-old boy that he would cut off his tongue for misbehaving.John Boyce appeared at Letterkenny District Court charged with having possession of a weapon. The court heard that the boy had been in McMahons Xtra Supermarket in Milford with his mother on July 24th last year and had been misbehaving.62 year-old Boyce was in the shop and pulled out a knife which had a two-and-half inch blade on it.He took out the knife and brandished it in front of the boy.Garda Sgt Gerard Dalton told the court that Boyce told the boy he could cut his tongue off with the knife.The boy’s mother then attended the Garda station and made a complaint to Gardai.The incident was also recorded on CCTV.Solicitor for the accused, Mr Patsy Gallagher, said his client had the knife in his pocket as he was a farmer and he used it for cutting the wrap from silage bales.He added that his client, of Upper Tullagh, Carrigart, had intended to help the boy’s mother as he was misbehaving in the shop.Judge Paul Kelly described the incident as “extraordinary.”He said “This child was seven years old. The fact that he took out a knife is extraordinary behaviour.”He adjourned the case for a probation and community service report.Man threatened to cut off boy’s tongue for misbehaving in shop was last modified: November 11th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegalJohn BoyceknifeMilfordlast_img read more


first_imgAn Grianan Theatre is continuing its ongoing engagement with the works of our greatest local writer Brian Friel by presenting his 1994 play “Molly Sweeney”.And we have two pairs of tickets – one for each night of the show – to give away for free.The play tells the story of a woman who after being blind since the age of 10 months old, gets the opportunity to have her sight restored – 40 years later. Directed by Sean Mc Cormack, with local stalwarts Kieran Kelly, Donal Kavanagh and Jean Curran, the play is told through a series of monologues told by Molly, her husband and her doctor.Her ophthalmologist, Mr Rice, convinces Molly that he can give her surgery to restore her sight.As he was once one of the top four eye surgeons in the world, Molly and her husband Frank question why he is working in a rural hospital in Donegal and smells of whiskey.Molly consents to the surgery but will she realise too late that getting her sight back may in fact make her life worse? The play will run on Thursday and Friday the 22nd and 23rd of November and tickets are available through the box office at the An Grianan Theatre Letterkenny 074 91 20777 and www.angrianan.comTo win a pair of tickets simply answer this question – ‘Who wrote Molly Sweeney?’Send you answer by email including your name and telephone number to info@donegaldaily.com. No cash alternative and all usual rules apply. Entries must reach us by tomorrow (WED) and we will announce the winners in the afternoon. Good luck! WIN FREE TICKETS FOR MOLLY SWEENEY AT AN GRIANAN was last modified: November 20th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An Grianan TheatreMolly Sweeneylast_img read more


first_imgBride-to-be Nicola Howard is congratulated by candidate Ciaran Brogan today.Bride-to-be Nicola Howard kept her future husband waiting today as she did her civic duty and voted.Stunning Nicola from Letterkenny brought traffic to a standstill as she stopped off at Ballyraine National School.Nicola arrived with her bridal party including three bridemaids. While Nicola cast her vote, nervous groom Greg Fitzgerald was left waiting at the altar at the Church of the Irish Martyrs wondering where his bride was!Nicola told election staff that she has always voted and wanted to make sure not even her wedding day was going to stop up from doing so again.She met local election candidate Ciaran Brogan at the polling station and happily posed for pictures.However, she wouldn’t divulge whom she had voted for! She eventually did make it to the church to walk down the aisle.Mrs and Mrs Fitzgerald are now on their way to Radisson – where Greg works – and where they will dance the night away with their guests. BRIDE-TO-BE NICOLA TOPS THE POLLS ON HER WEDDING DAY! was last modified: May 24th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more