first_imgAll the newspapers, particularly the Kotoko Weekly said Asante Kotoko was ready for Africa and the first casualty should be Liberian champions, Barrack Young Controllers.It was in the 1/16th preliminary qualifying round of the CAF Championship League at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi.Ghanaian soccer fans had expected a massive victory of more than three goals to nothing against the Liberian champions which sadly for them could not happen.For one thing, while Asante Kotoko was hosting BYC, Berekum Chelsea was scheduled to engage Atlabar FC from South Sudan in another Champions League match while Medeama SC was expected to battle FC Panthers of Equatorial Guinea.Another Ghanaian club Mysterious Ebusua Dwarfs had Senegalese side Diaraf FC to contend with.So then Asante Kotoko had the burden to take lead and let other clubs follow.And the Barrack Young Controllers would be the sacrificial lambs.Until the game on Sunday, February 9, the mood among Ghanaian soccer fans, particularly those of Asante Kotoko was that of optimism.Another point that increased their expectation was that during last year’s tournament, Kotoko had eliminated their opponents from Equatorial Guinea 7-1 on goal aggregate.Kotoko executed a 4-4-2 formation but Barrack Young Controllers had a pack midfield and utilized the wings, one of the few that forced Kotoko to concede the direct kick that Isaac Pupo got the equalizer in the 41st minute to cancel Kotoko’s lead. With Kotoko’s pressure to get goals, BYC recoiled in their defense but with occasional counter-attacks.Absorbing the pressure from Kotoko, BYC would open up when it was necessary but it was clear that the sustained pressure from Kotoko would crumble their defense, which resulted to Kotoko’s two goals.For example, BYC made their first attempt in the 19th minute but Junior Barshall sent a feeble shot that goalkeeper Soulama Abdoulaye collected without any problem.When Isaac Pupo’s direct kick zoomed into the net for the equalizer, it placed enormous pressure on Kotoko since a possible draw could end the dream of the Porcupine Warriors (Asante Kotoko).Kwabena Adusei restored Kotoko’s lead in the 71st minute from another spot kick won by Seidu Bansey from a 50-50 challenge with BYC’s goalie, Nathaniel Sherman.Goalkeeper Nathaniel Sherman played a yeoman’s game and stood up gallantly against Kotoko’s several onslaughts which in the end send the whole of Kumasi to an early bed, and as a result prepared a second leg 50-50 chance in Monrovia this coming Sunday.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgThe Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is warning persons to desist from dumping waste irresponsibly as this can lead to imprisonment or a fine of up to $100,000.In an interview with this publication on Tuesday, Environmental Officer Candacie Thompson zeroed in on mechanics and explained that complaints have been received in the past of these persons dumping waste oil in dangerous ways. She reminded that mechanic shops are required to be authorised by the EPA as she appealed to these shop owners to desist from dumping hazardous waste in ways which could cause damage to the soil and even pose danger to human and possibly marine health.Waste oil dumped carelessly outside a mechanic shop on the East Bank of DemeraraAnother officer, Jasmine Adams, told this publication that persons can be fined up to $100,000 for breaking these laws. She explained, “We have regulations which are basically laws that have to be followed as it relates to waste management and their penalties for disobedience of those laws so littering of a public place there is a fine of $50,000 per person and $100,000 for a business”.It was noted that the EPA usually issues a citation order for clean-up or litter removals to be conducted. If the defendant defies this order, he/she is then taken before the courts.The clean-up order is different from the litter removal order in that two days and 14 days are granted respectively. These orders are issued based on the severity of the situation at hand. But irrespective of these timelines, an officer from the agency will visit the reported location to conduct checks to see whether the order was respected or not.“If you do not then you violate the citation order which is a legal document and it immediately becomes a court situation,” Adams noted.This process, according to her, requires witnesses and evidence, meaning that citizens will not be charged if caught in the act.Instead, a complaint would have to be filed after which an officer will visit the location to investigate. This would see persons in the area being interviewed and the delinquent would even be questioned for the agency to understand why the unlawful activity is being conducted and how often, among others.Subsequent to this investigation, a report would be submitted to the executives, who will determine the way forward.The officer pointed out, “Waste oil is considered a hazardous waste and you have the natural effects whereby you’d have rainfall and the oil would be washed into the drains and it would cause clogging, it would cause pest infestation because mosquitoes and stuff like that dwell where oil is. It does make for a very unsightly environment and it contaminates the waterways and so on”.Adams said that while such complaints are made frequently to the EPA, respondents are usually compliant as they fear being hauled before the courts. She, nevertheless, reported that the agency has seen repeat offenders before. In such cases, the fine is either doubled or tripled “depending on the level of disrespect”. Further, a person can be jailed for three to six months for such offences.last_img read more

first_imgUltimately, it was left to Chumbawamba – “I get knocked down, but I’ll get up again. You’re never gonna keep me down” – to provide the soundtrack as Finn Harps fell to a poor defeat in their final Premier Division game for at least 16 months.Finn Harps 2 Drogheda United 3Pictures by Joe Boland, North West News Pix Drogheda came from behind to win as second-half goals by Chris Mulhall, Thomas Byrne and Stephen Meaney gave Pete Mahon’s men a first League win in a 22-game spell going back to their 2-0 win in Ballybofey in April.For Harps, who led through Caolan McAleer’s goal in the opening minute, it was a disappointing way to end a campaign that will end with a whimper on Friday night when they face Bohemians. Relegated officially on Saturday night after Sligo defeated Derry City, there was an eerie atmosphere around Navenney Street as Harps’ two-season stay in the top flight came to a close.By the time Meaney finished high into the net, after taking a cut-back from Mark Doyle, the old place felt dark as it came to terms with it all, although it did end with McAleer cracking a wonder goal past Stephen McGuinness from 25 yards.Harps took the lead with just 53 seconds gone. From a throw-in on the left-hand side, McAleer managed to open up and his shot somehow managed to dip beyond the reach of McGuinness, the Drogheda net-minder. McAleer ended the night how it began, giving McGuinness no chance with a magnificent strike.It was the fourth goal of what has been an impressive campaign by the Omagh man, who is sure to have his suitors in the winter months.The Drogs have been relegated since a 2-1 loss to Derry City in Buncrana at the end of September, and it has been a trying time for Pete Mahon’s side – who hadn’t won since a 2-0 win here six months ago.But they drew level in the 61st minute. Tommy McBride’s pass to Ciaran Coll didn’t quite have the necessary accuracy and Stephen Meaney teed up Mulhall to lob over the advanced Ciaran Gallagher.With 17 minutes to go, substitute Thomas Byrne skipped past the challenge of Packie Mailey before firing past Gallagher from the edge of the box. And Drogheda wrapped it up when Meaney shot home.It ought to have been a different tale, though.12 minutes into the second half, Danny Morrissey raced onto a one-v-one with McGuinness. After his initial attempt was saved, the striker’s follow-up was blocked. Morrissey had an instant chance to atone, but drilled off the crossbar with only McGuinness to beat.It was a miss that proved to be the game’s turning point as Drogheda surged back for the win. McAleer was certainly energised in the early moments and McGuinness did well to beat away a stinging effort by the Harps winger before a lobbed effort on the half-hour beat the goalkeeper only to drop onto the top of the net.Anyone who thought this one didn’t matter much will have revisited those thoughts following that moment, in the 23rd minute, when Damien McNulty was pulled back by Mulhall in the Drogheda penalty box.The ground waited for referee Thomas Connolly to point to the spot, but the whistle never came, leaving Horgan and assistant manager Paul Hegarty to make their displeasure known to fourth official John McLoughlin.Gallagher saved at the feet of Stephen Meaney and a free-kick from Sean Russell spun wildly into the arms of the Harps ‘keeper as Drogheda sought a means of getting back into it.Meaney was in again, but was denied by Gallagher in a lively start to what was the League of Ireland’s first game between two already-relegated teams since 1998, when Drogheda faced Kilkenny City.With Eddie Dsane suspended and Sean Houston not deemed fit enough to start, there were two changes to the Harps XI, with Ibrahim Keita and and Mark Timlin recalled.The game was called off on Friday night after heavy rainfall left the Finn Park surface unplayable. With Harps not playing, other results went against them – St Patrick’s Athletic defeated Cork City on Friday and Sligo Rovers overcame Derry 24 hours later – condemning Harps to the drop.It must as felt as if Harps supporters were watching their own funeral being played out in front of them.They had a brief cheer at the end as McAleer delightfully netted and the applause as the players departed was as sympathetic as it was supportive.Finn Harps: Ciaran Gallagher; Damien McNulty (Shane Blaney 71), Packie Mailey, Kilian Cantwell, Ciaran Coll; Caolan McAleer, Gareth Harkin, Tommy McBride (Sean Houston 68), Mark Timlin (BJ Banda 77); Ibrahim Keita, Danny Morrissey.Drogheda United: Stephen McGuinness; Shane Elworthy, Kevin Farragher, Stephen Dunne, Conor Kane; Chris Mulhall, Sean Brennan (Jamie Hollywood 77), Ryan McEvoy,  Mark Doyle; Sean Russell (Thomas Byrne 69), Stephen Meaney (Jack Bailey 83).Referee: Thomas Connolly (Dublin).McAleer double not enough as Finn Harps lose in final home game was last modified: October 23rd, 2017 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Caolan McAleerDrogheda Unitedfinn harpsOllie Horganlast_img read more