first_imgBANGALORE, India (AP):Bangladesh slumped to a one-run defeat by India at the World Twenty20 yesterday after a collapse by their lower-order batsmen in the final over of a gripping Group Two match at Chinnaswamy Stadium.Needing 11 to win off the last over, bowled by Hardik Pandya, Mushfiqur Rahim slammed two consecutive boundaries as nine runs came off the first three deliveries to put Bangladesh in sight of victory in reply to India’s 146-7.But Mushfiqur holed out to midwicket. The next ball saw Mahmudullah do the same, and Shuvagata Hom missed the final ball and made a vain attempt to steal a single to level the scores. However, his partner, Mustafizur Rahman, was run out by India wicketkeeper and captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni to leave Bangladesh beaten on 145-9.RUNS ADDED ONThe defeat followed a solid start by Tamim Iqbal (35) and Sabbir Rahman (26) – who did well to add 44 for the second wicket – and some useful contributions from Shakib Al Hasan (22) and Soumya Sarkar (21).Put into bat, India’s openers had earlier struggled to get going against some disciplined bowling. Both Rohit Sharma and Shikar Dhawan struggled to score at a run-a-ball, and the frustration that crept in resulted in both openers departing in quick succession. Rohit made a 16-ball 18 and Shikar had a 22-ball 23.With Virat Kohli being joined by Suresh Raina, India began to make progress. The pair added 50 runs for the third wicket before Kohli was bowled by Hom for 24.Raina showed a return to form by cracking a 23-ball 30. But two back-to-back wickets by Al-Amin Hossain, who had Raina and Pandya both caught, put India on the backfoot again.Dhoni then took charge, finishing unbeaten on 13. Along with Ravindra Jadeja, he added 20 runs for the seventh wicket before he and Ravichandran Ashwin put on nine more runs from five balls.last_img read more


first_imgWASHINGTON – Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s presidential primary campaign has considered – and rejected – a plan to stop competing in Iowa, the traditional kickoff state in the nominating process, and to concentrate instead on later states, including the 20 that will vote on a single day in early February. The recommendation to pull out of Iowa was in a memorandum written by Mike Henry, Clinton’s deputy campaign manager. He made a case that Iowa would consume too much time and money that could be better invested elsewhere. His memorandum, dated May 21, said Clinton would have to spend $15 million and 70 days in the state to be competitive there, and suggested that if she did not pull out she might not have the money she would need for the rapid-fire series of contests that follow. The Iowa caucuses are Jan. 14, with the New Hampshire primary eight days later, Florida a week after that and 22 other states on Feb. 5. The Clinton campaign said Henry’s advice had been rejected. Soon after learning that the memorandum would become public, the Clinton campaign announced that Clinton, a New York Democrat, said she would be campaigning in Iowa on each of the next three weekends. Any hint that Clinton was not committed to winning in Iowa could hurt her there. Recent polls in Iowa have shown Clinton trailing John Edwards from North Carolina and Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois. And the disclosure of a memorandum suggesting she might not play in Iowa could also have the effect – intended or not – of lowering expectations for her performance there, softening a defeat and or making a victory that much more dramatic. Candidates in both parties have been struggling to adapt to the new calendar, which has the potential to give the candidates alternate routes to the nomination by giving many more states influence over the choice.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “It’s not the opinion of the campaign,” Clinton told Radio Iowa on Wednesday, referring to Henry’s memorandum. “It’s not my opinion.” But the memorandum was evidence of the ways in which the shifting political calendar is forcing campaigns to rethink their traditional strategies and confront complex tradeoffs. “Thirteen of the last 14 major-party nominees have won Iowa, New Hampshire, or both,” Henry wrote, adding: “but I think this old system is about to collapse, and it will happen this year because of the impact of primary elections that are being held on February 5th.” “In effect, the Democratic Party is holding a national primary with over 20 states choosing a nominee on Feb. 5,” the memorandum continued. “This new focus forces us to rethink our overall strategy and assess where our time and money are best spent.” Howard Wolfson, the Clinton campaign’s communications director, said neither Clinton nor Mark Penn, her chief strategist, had seen the memorandum. last_img read more


first_imgAn emergency water conservation campaign in California to cut consumption by 25% also saved enough electricity over a nine-month period to power 135,000 homes for a year, according to an analysis from the University of California-Davis.The savings of 922,543 megawatt-hours of electricity between June 2015 and this past February surprised even officials of the State Water Resources Control Board, according to an article in The Los Angeles Times. Max Gomberg, the board’s conservation manager, called the numbers “surprisingly large,” adding, “I was pleasantly surprised at the magnitude of the action.”Researchers at the UC Davis Center for Water-Energy Efficiency (CWEE) worked with data provided by the state’s electric utilities and water districts, required as part of Gov. Jerry Brown’s water conservation emergency order. They found that lower electricity use last summer equaled the savings of all energy-efficiency programs offered by major investor-owned utilities, but at less than one-third the cost, The Times said. Water consumption uses lots of energyThe region’s water distribution system is an “emerging target” for efforts to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, the CWEE says. Some 20% of the electricity and 30% of the non-power-plant natural gas consumed in California is used to produce, move, treat, and heat water.Water conservation efforts from June 2015 through April have saved more than 423 billion gallons. Winter rains and snow allowed energy measures to be rolled back, pleasing water districts in San Diego County. But the UC Davis analysis prompted some advocates to promote continued vigilance.“One of the things this Davis report shows, which people in the water sector have known for a long time, is if you really want to get a handle on climate change, you can’t do it without water conservation,” Bruce Reznick, executive director of Los Angeles Waterkeeper, told the newspaper.CWEE Director Frank Loge said researchers were “quite surprised” by the analysis.“The actual energy saved is quite a bit greater than our analysis,” he said. “Our analysis is quite conservative. I think one of the biggest lessons for me and others in the state as we begin to think about the path forward is the real potential to invest energy efficiency money into water conservation.”Even as conservation efforts are eased, California residents are using less water. A report published by Water Deeply said that average use in April was 77 gallons per person per day, compared with 104 gallons in the same month in 2013, a decline of 26%.The website said that the energy savings resulting from water conservation meant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions of 219,653 metric tons — the same effect as removing 50,000 cars from the road. RELATED ARTICLES Saving Energy by Saving WaterSaving Water — Saving Energycenter_img Between July and September, utilities offered incentives — such as upgrades to appliances, more efficient lighting and air-conditioning equipment — that reduced energy consumption by about 460 gigawatt-hours. The programs cost about $172 million. Reductions in water use had the effect of reducing the state’s energy use by 460 gigawatt-hours but cost $44.8 million.Energy savings were probably even higher, The Times said, because the UC Davis study did not account for the electricity used to treat water after discharge from homes and factories.“Water and energy resource systems are fundamentally interrelated,” a CWEE report says. “Secure, reliable access to both resources is critical to basic survival, as well as ongoing economic development, at all scales and in every region of the world. Water is required to make energy, and energy is required to treat and move water — a relationship we call the ‘water-energy nexus.’ “last_img read more


first_imgIn this scene from HBO’s successful True Detective, editor Meg Reticker discusses how the 8th episode differed from the rest of the series in terms of it’s more linear structure, compared to the back and forth of other episodes. Check out this previous post for more True Detective insights.“There are times when you have doubts, are we really going to hold this take? And you have to believe in, that it’s really going to air that way.”  – Meg Reticker The video editors of television’s most popular shows offer a wealth of insight into how they solve their most challenging edits.If you’re a fan of House of Cards, True Detective, Nurse Jackie or The Americans, then you’ll love these insights from some of television’s best editors on solving challenging edit problems. All of these clips were recorded at a recent Sight, Sound and Story event produced by The Manhattan Edit Workshop.In the first clip you can hear ACE editor Cindy Mollo describe how a scene was reworked in House Of Cards from her first cut to the final broadcast episode. The challenge was having to ask Kevin Spacey to re-do his performance and therefore re-shoot and re-work the scene. But as Cindy says…“It just cut like butter, he’s so professional and it just raised everyone else’s game on set.” – Cindy Mollo ACE Gary Levy the ACE editor of Nurse Jackie, talks through the challenge of having to seamlessly combine two different emotional tones, as well as frame-rates, in a nuanced episode of the show. This is a great example of the editor’s common challenge of adapting an idea that didn’t quite work out in the shooting process into something that really plays.“Even those it’s a comedy, it’s incredibly serious. There’s a lot of technical editing choices being made there. Especially with tone and with those slow-mos.” – Gary Levy ACEcenter_img In this last clip from The Americans, Michael Berenbaum ACE describes how he had to change the musical score to an already cut scene at the last minute. But with a little assistance from the composer and a lot of luck, everything worked out.“I was told you can’t use that music, you have to use this Pete Townsend song that was recorded for another show. And my first thought was “How is that ever going to work?” – Michael Berenbaum ACElast_img read more


first_imgArriving in Ayodhya ahead of a planned VHP rally for a Ram temple, Shiv Sena Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray asked the Narendra Modi government on November 24 to spell out the date when it would be constructed.Day, months, years and generations have passed, he said. “Mandir wahin banayenge, par date nahin batayenge [You say you will make the temple there, but won’t tell the date],” he said. “First say when will you construct the temple, the rest we will talk later,” he said in what sounded like a dare to the Bharatiya Janata Party–led government ahead of next year’s Lok Sabha elections.Mr. Thackeray arrived in Ayodhya for a two-day visit, which he claimed was not a political one. Ayodhya has been turned into fortress with multiple layers of security and deployment of drones in view of the Dharam Sabha organised by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad on November 25.Upon arrival, the Sena chief, along with his wife Rashmi and son Aditya, were greeted with slogans of “Jai Shri Ram”.The Sena, which has demanded that the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya be expedited by promulgating an ordinance to the effect, is believed to have sent some 3,000 Shiv Sena supporters by two trains from Maharashtra.The cadres, who arrived in Ayodhya before Mr. Thackeray, took a dip in the Saryu river and then prayed at Ram Lalla and Hanuman Garhi, Sena sources said.The Shiv Sena chief is reported to have brought a pot full of soil from Pune’s Shivneri Fort, which will be handed over to the priest at the Ram janmabhoomi site when he meets him later.This is Mr. Thackeray’s first visit to Ayodhya and party leaders, including MP Sanjay Raut and others, had been camping here for the last few days to make preparations for the visit.On the morning of November 25, Mr. Thackeray will visit the Ram Lalla temple, interact with the media and later with the public, party sources said.Ayodhya turns into fortressThe temple town will also witness another major congregation of Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) activists on November 25, who will be taking part in a Dharam Sabha. Security has been tightened at the disputed site with thousands of police and paramilitary personnel keeping a watch over the sensitive place. Ayodhya has been turned into fortress with multiple layers of security and deployment of drones.On the security arrangements in Ayodhya, Additional Director-General, Law and Order, Anand Kumar said the Supreme Court guidelines would be maintained in and around the disputed site.Ayodhya has been divided in 16 sectors and a security scheme is under force, according to Mr. Kumar, adding that additional force has been deployed for maintaining law and order and efforts are on to ensure that the events pass off peacefully.Barriers have been erected to regulate the surging crowd in the temple town and magistrates have been posted there.Everyone will have to adhere to the Supreme Court guidelines, Mr. Kumar said, adding that necessary steps had been taken to deal with all circumstances.When contacted, Ayodhya Mayor Rishikesh Upadhyay told PTI that adequate security arrangements were made by the police and district administration in the town, located 120 km from State capital, Lucknow.“As many as 13 parking slots have been provided for the event. No permission was given to the Shiv Sena by the government to hold a rally,” the Mayor said. Despite a slight chill in the air, the temple town seems to be reeling under the political heat generated by the Dharam Sabha, being held to call for the construction of a grand temple for Lord Ram.A pamphlet recently released by VHP raises the pitch for its construction. It reads “Saugandh Ram ki khaate hai, hum mandir bhavya banayenge [We pledge in the name of Lord Ram that we will build a grand temple for him]”, and urges devotees to be a part of the movement.VHP was founded on August 29, 1964 on the auspicious day of Shri Krishna Janmasthami. Its objective is to organise, consolidate the Hindu society and serve, protect the Hindu Dharma.The organisers of the Dharam Sabha claim that more than 3 lakh devotees of Lord Ram were likely to arrive for the programme on November 25.VHP media-in-charge Ambuj Ojha said, “After staying in a taat (tent), Lord Ram is expecting a revival of bravado among his devotees. The moment has come. The temple must be built where Ram Lalla is currently seated. Also, there should not be any mosque in the cultural boundary of Ayodhya.”On November 18, VHP had organised a motorcycle rally in different parts of Lucknow in this regard.Praant Sangathan mantra (Awadh) of VHP, Bholendra, in a written statement said this was the final Dharam Sabha for construction of Ram temple. “After this, no more Dharam Sabhas will be held and the construction of the temple will commence,” he said.The Supreme Court on November 12 had declined early hearing of petitions in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute case. A Bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice S.K. Kaul said it already listed the appeals before the appropriate bench in January.Earlier, a three-judge Bench refused, by a 2:1 majority, to refer to a five-judge Constitution Bench the issue of reconsideration of observations in its 1994 judgement of the Allahabad High Court that a mosque was not integral to Islam. The matter had arisen during the hearing of the Ayodhya land dispute.last_img read more


first_imgRoy Williams on his knee during a game.roy williams vertigo attackNorth Carolina’s Roy Williams appears to be okay, but for a moment there, we were all a little worried about the Tar Heels head coach, yet again. Williams, who suffers from vertigo, collapsed on the sideline during a game against Boston College last month. It nearly happened again tonight during the ACC Tournament title game against UVA, but Williams appeared to steady himself by taking a knee. Here’s video:Roy maybe with a vertigo attack but he waved off medical staff per ESPN pic.twitter.com/EzWnyCV5a3— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) March 13, 2016Williams’ Tar Heels are holding onto a slim lead in the game’s final minute. A win would surely lift his spirits.last_img read more


first_imgzoom National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (Bahri) has completed the registration of Aslaf, a very large crude carrier (VLCC), under the flag of Saudi Arabia. This is in line with Bahri’s efforts to re-flag all of its VLCCs – now totaling 39 – under the domestic flag by the end of 2017.The construction of the 300,000 dwt Aslaf was completed by Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) last month. On July 19, the 330-meter-long ship was handed over to the company.Aslaf arrived in Saudi Arabia on August 19, docking at Port of Ras Tanura near Dammam, where an official reception was hosted by the Ministry of Transport under the supervision of Public Transport Authority (PTA), during which the vessel was formally registered and the national flag was raised aboard.In addition to Aslaf, Bahri plans to add two more VLCCs to its fleet before the end of this year.“Our aim is to get all of our large and mid-size carriers registered under the national flag, which will help sharpen Bahri’s competitive edge in the market while contributing to an increase in bilateral maritime trade volume between Saudi Arabia and other global economies,” Ali Al-Harbi, Acting CEO of Bahri, commented.“Bahri and Saudi Ports Authority share a common vision for the continued growth of Saudi Arabia’s maritime sector, and we are committed to providing every possible support to Bahri so they can reach new heights and keep doing our nation proud,” Hussein bin Khamis Al-Ansari, Director of the Port of Ras Tanura, said.The Saudi Arabian flag is raised on cargo and passenger vessels after their registration. Ships are then inspected and checked regularly in accordance with the standards laid down by international classification authorities accredited by the country.Image Courtesy: Bahrilast_img read more


first_imgOTTAWA – Grey Cup week has officially begun in the nation’s capital with the arrival of the Cup on Parliament Hill, carried atop a Canadian Forces light armoured vehicle.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson were among the dignitaries who helped kick off the 105th Grey Cup festival.Among the dozens of fans who turned out for the Cup’s arrival was retired Ottawa Redblacks quarterback Henry Burris, who said he’s “itching” to feel the excitement of the game when the Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts take to the field on Sunday.The prime minister said he’s looking forward to being in the stands with his wife on Sunday to experience the championship game firsthand.Both Trudeau and Watson said it’s especially significant to see the Grey Cup game played in the capital as Canada celebrates the 150th anniversary of Confederation.last_img read more