first_img“I think I was just tired from the last couple of matches,” he said after his 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 defeat to Djokovic. “I tried to give 100 percent but he was playing very solid.“Maybe if he wasn’t Novak I might have had a chance, but he was playing great tennis today. Serve, return, groundstrokes — he was playing aggressive and I didn’t have much energy to stay with him.”ADVERTISEMENT Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Hot start as UP routs UE to get UAAP campaign going LATEST STORIES Novak Djokovic, of Serbia, shakes hands with Kei Nishikori, of Japan, after Djokovic defeated Nishikori during the semifinals of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Friday, Sept. 7, 2018, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)Kei Nishikori stumbled into a buzzsaw in the shape of Novak Djokovic on Friday, but the Japanese star leaves the US Open pleased with a semi-final run one year after missing the tournament through injury.“It was very good,” he said of his two weeks in Flushing Meadows. “Maybe not today, but the last couple of matches I played great tennis, beat a couple of good guys.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal “I’m really happy to be in the semis again. Could have been better playing the final again, but maybe the my next chance.”Nishikori made history in reaching the 2014 US Open final, but said he could hardly bring himself to watch last year’s tournament as he battled a wrist injury that brought his 2017 season to a premature close.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’He has slowly made his way back in 2018, gradually gaining confidence with a quarter-final run at Wimbledon and his last-four appearance here.He dug deep for a five-set victory over Marin seventh-seeded Cilic in the quarterfinal and may have still been feeling the effects against Djokovic. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentslast_img read more


first_imgNearly two years after completing the Public Health Ministry’s Medex programme, several graduates are still awaiting employment.Guyana Times was told on Tuesday that 25 graduates who successfully completed the four-year training programme in 2015, are still awaiting placements at health facilities. This situation has persisted despite the students having completed their three-month internship requirement in early 2016.Public Health Minister Volda LawrenceOne of the aggrieved medical personnel explained the group was first promised placements at health centres across the country, almost one year ago.“After [receiving training between] 2011-2015, they (Public Health Ministry) had us on internship. Afterwards in April 2016, they said we’re gonna start working because we were assigned to the various health centres, who [would be] going to region Eight or Nine,” the student highlighted.It was further disclosed that their grievances were initially communicated through the then Chief Medex, and Director of Health Sciences and Education Faculty, Public Health Ministry, Wilton Benn.Guyana Times understands that Benn was expected to undertake measures to revise the medex curriculum, to award students with a University qualification.“The curriculum was supposed to be revised and we were supposed to be accredited by the University of Guyana with an associate diploma. With revising the curriculum, he (Wilton Benn) was supposed to submit it to the University of Guyana. Four years passed during the time of the training and he apparently didn’t revise it,” another frustrated student pointed out.It was noted that the medex graduates were “promised” that as soon as their training finished, they would commence work.“We’ve been home over a year; we were supposed to start working and that never happened and we called to find out what’s going on, they gave us different story [saying] that some of the documents already gone up to UG [but] when you called up to UG, there’s nothing there,” this publication was told.This newspaper however understands that current Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence met with several persons within the University but it is unclear if the students’ concerns were discussed or addressed. The students claim that they made attempts to contact the Minister.“We asked this year to get an audience with the now Minister of Health, [Volda Lawrence] but we never got through to her office but we got an email saying that she is meeting with the University of Guyana but we still haven’t heard anything,” this publication was told.Efforts by Guyana Times to contract the Minister on Tuesday proved futile.This newspaper was however informed that dialogue with health officials were sought even before Minister Lawrence was transferred to the post. The graduates had met with then Minister, Dr George Norton and Minister within the Ministry, Dr Karen Cummings.“Everything turned out to be nothing,” one of the students told this publication.The students have recently sought legal advice in efforts to seek redress for their non-placement.“Since it’s been a year, [we met] with a lawyer because our contract is nulled as a year is finished, meaning the Government doesn’t have a contract with us anymore. We are trying to work around that but it seems to be in vain too,” this publication was further told.A delegation of students took their concerns to the Ministry of the Presidency but they were reportedly told at the gates to leave their contact information. The students claim that to date, they have not been contacted. “We called and never got through so everything was like a dead end because everybody is saying that they’re gonna get back to us”.Earlier this month, several students who graduated from the University’s pharmacy programme had claimed that their lives were at a virtual standstill as they had been waiting for several months to commence their internship programme at the Georgetown Public Hospital. This programme is necessary for those students to obtain their licences to practise their craft.Guyana Times had been told that the said programme should have commenced in early January but it was alleged that the Pharmacy Council was unprepared to facilitate the process.last_img read more