first_imgWe’ve all seen them, clinging to the sides of buildings like fading relics of a bygone age. Many of these hand-painted ads still survive, but are quickly disappearing, as weathering and property development overtake them. For the last year a nationwide effort has been under way to archive these ’ghost signs’.Among them, bread and bakers dominate, and notably Hovis, alongside one-time competitors Daren, Golden Harvest and Whitton’s. “These brands aimed to build awareness through locally trusted outlets, with bakers offering their customer base and the space for advertising. In return, flour companies footed the bill for painting the sign,” says organiser Sam Roberts.”Some exist on old bakery sites,” adds Sara Reid, marketing manager of project sponsor Rank Hovis. “We feel that this collection is priceless as it harks back to a simpler era of communication and branding.” read more

first_img Harper will provide competition for Scottish keeper Allan McGregor, signed from Besiktas earlier this month, with Bosnian stopper Eldin Jakupovic another option for Tigers boss Steve Bruce. Hull becomes Harper’s second permanent club in two decades. The Seaham native joined Newcastle in 1993 but spent time his first five years with the Magpies on separate loan spells with Bradford, Gateshead, Stockport and Hartlepool. He began to threaten first-team regular Shay Given at the turn of the century, playing in Newcastle’s FA Cup final defeat to Manchester United in 1999 and notably keeping a clean sheet against Juventus in a Champions League group game in 2002. After finally becoming the undisputed number one choice on Tyneside during Newcastle’s season in the Championship, Harper signed a new contract in 2009 but two years later he found himself at Brighton on loan. He played his last game for Newcastle – acting as captain – in a 1-0 Premier League defeat to Arsenal in May and despite reports suggesting he was ready to retire, he attracted the interest of Hull, who have now handed the veteran another stab at top-flight football. The 38-year-old joins the Tigers’ cause for a first Barclays Premier League campaign since 2010 having spent 20 years at St James’ Park. A statement published by Hull’s official Twitter feed, @hullcityteam, read: “We are delighted to announce the signing of Steve Harper on a one-year deal #WelcometoHull #hcafc” Press Associationcenter_img Hull have confirmed the signing of former Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper on a one-year deal.last_img read more

first_img The 25-year-old was worked much harder than Brad Friedel in the Spurs goal, the American deputising after Spurs’ medical team opted to give Lloris a few more days’ rest after his collision with Everton forward Romelu Lukaku seven days earlier. Time and again Krul was called into action, producing fantastic saves to deny Roberto Soldado, Paulinho and Gylfi Sigurdsson amongst others. The first chance for the home side came from a ninth-minute corner which was headed over by Soldado when he should have done better. The opening seemed to stir Newcastle into life as Remy had a sight of goal shortly afterwards, but Tottenham defender Vlad Chiriches was on hand to block the France forward’s shot behind for a corner. Friedel just about dealt with the resultant set-piece and then had to push Yohan Cabaye’s effort behind as the visitors came into the match. But Friedel could do nothing about Remy’s strike moments later as Yoan Gouffran robbed Paulinho of possession and played a through-ball to the QPR loanee, who took the ball around the American goalkeeper and slotted home. Spurs chased an instant response but no one could get on the end of an inviting Christian Eriksen cross and Paulinho blazed over as a quick equaliser eluded them. Jan Vertonghen was the next to try his luck for Andre Villas-Boas’ side but his low effort was easy for Krul to collect. The Belgium international then arrowed a low free-kick just wide of Krul’s left post. Soldado forced Krul into a full-stretch save as his flicked header from Eriksen’s free-kick sent the goalkeeper flying high to his right. Eriksen stung the palms of Krul with a powerful long-range effort, with the early afternoon sunshine making the save less routine. Shola Ameobi had the ball in the back of the net after 37 minutes but he had been flagged offside as Newcastle adjusted to a counter-attacking approach. Spurs were inching closer and closer to an equaliser but were yet again thwarted by wonderful goalkeeping from Krul. This time the Holland international flung himself across goal to tip Paulinho’s curling shot away from goal. Chiriches did not see out the half for Spurs after the defender was left with a bloody nose as he challenged for a high ball inside the Newcastle penalty area. The second half followed on from where the first had ended, with Krul again denying everything thrown at him by Spurs, using his legs to keep out Eriksen’s stab towards goal. A deflected Sigurdsson free-kick again brought out the best out of Krul, who was sharp enough to block Younes Kaboul’s follow-up with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa then clearing ahead of the onrushing Tottenham cavalry. With the hosts on top it was Soldado who passed up the next opportunity as he fired wide after latching on to Kyle Walker’s cross. Newcastle showed they were still a threat at the other end as they broke forward through Moussa Sissoko, whose shot was pushed away by Friedel. Jermain Defoe was introduced with 22 minutes remaining as Villas-Boas decided to play with two forwards, Sigurdsson making way. Andros Townsend cut in and arrowed a shot towards goal which Krul could only push away this time, but he got enough on the ball to keep it out of the path of the fast-approaching Soldado. Brazil midfielder Paulinho hit straight at Krul when well-placed inside the penalty area as time started to run out for the home side. Even when Spurs did manage to beat Krul they found the woodwork blocking their path as Vertonghen’s back-post header hit the crossbar, ensuring that a goalkeeper on the pitch rather than one playing no part took at least a share of the headlines. Press Association Loic Remy’s early strike sealed a hard-fought victory for Newcastle against Tottenham at White Hart Lane but it was goalkeeper Tim Krul who will deservedly take the plaudits. With all of the pre-game talk about Spurs stopper Hugo Lloris missing out after being knocked unconscious at Everton last weekend, it was the Magpies’ own number one who produced heroics to earn his side a 1-0 win. Remy’s well-taken strike in the 13th minute – his seventh goal in his last seven Barclays Premier League appearances – put the visitors ahead before his Dutch team-mate took centre stage, blocking Spurs at every turn. last_img read more

first_img“I wear 21 for him, play for him,” Okongwu said. “I’m just living out his dream through me.” Latimore said Onyeka never sought out attention in high school, often turning down interviews from local newspapers and TV outlets. This attention, though, was different.  Just like that, he was gone.  Freshman forward Onyeka Okongwu wears No. 21 in honor of his brother Nnamdi, a talented young basketball player who died after a fatal skateboarding accident when Onyeka was entering the eighth grade. (James Wolfe | Daily Trojan) “You can always count on O, he’s a great guy,” Mobley said. “Always uplifting everybody, putting a smile on everybody’s face … He’s just a great guy, loves to joke, super competitive both on and off the floor.” Onyeka has always been close with his family. Despite living at USC now, he still talks to “Chuku” almost every day and calls Latimore frequently to ask how his younger brother can improve. Staying close to his family was a big reason for choosing USC. The attention is nothing new for Okongwu. He didn’t exactly come out of nowhere when he burst onto the collegiate hoops scene — he had been making a name for himself since well before his Trojan debut. That day, the Okongwu family learned that Nnamdi, Onyeka’s older brother of four years, had been in a skateboarding accident in Chino Hills.  Latimore said Nnamdi’s legacy — along with Onyeka’s myriad accomplishments — was the reason the school had the No. 21 jersey retired during halftime of a Jan. 31 Chino Hills game this year. Okongwu was joined at the ceremony by Kate and his younger brother Chukwuemeka, a sophomore on the team. “This was his former team from last year,” Latimore said. “His brother’s still on the team. We felt like it was something that was good for the community, that it was something that was good for his younger brother to see, for our younger players on the team to see. And I just wanted to make sure he recognized that. That ‘Hey, I know you don’t always like the attention, but it’s not just about you. It’s also about your brother.’” Mobley said Okongwu is the same person now that he was back then. Most players in his situation would take the time to bask in their glory — after all, much of it is justified. Okongwu, then a junior, felt close enough with his coach and teacher to write about the day of the accident — what he was doing before he found out, when the police entered his house, going to the hospital.  “The pressure never really got to him,” Latimore said. “He would do the same routine every game. He’d be the last out of the locker room. I believe he would say a prayer or have some type of reflection … He had the same responses to me and that same preparation whether we were playing Zion Williamson’s team or whether we were playing Rancho Cucamonga or Upland High School.” Did Okongwu falter in the shadow of the eventual No. 1 NBA Draft pick? Not at all. No, Okongwu doesn’t walk around campus with his chest puffed out as if to say, “Look at me, I’m Onyeka Okongwu,” nor does he do so on the court (although he’s probably earned the right). Like he said, that’s just not who he is. He’s here for basketball. For Nnamdi. So it came as no surprise that Okongwu didn’t skip a beat when he stepped foot on a college court for the first time. “He wasn’t a guy that played around — he wanted to come right in and he wanted to work hard,” Latimore said. “When we were in our practices, he listened, he wasn’t talking when the coaches were talking. He did the drills hard, watched hours and hours of film, especially throughout the playoffs both years … very hard worker.” “When he and I would do one-on-one drills, and he was even doing this as a junior … he’d put his shoulder into me and I would literally be back on the wall,” Latimore said. “The amount of power and quickness he had? Oh, man. It was amazing.” Nope.  “He adjusted very quickly,” USC head coach Andy Enfield said. “You have the physical tools and the basketball IQ that he has — he just came in here and started playing his game.” But though Okongwu often makes remarkable basketball feats look effortless, his life off the court has been anything but easy. On July 15, 2014, Okongwu and his family received news that would change their lives forever. “Media outlets and all that — I’m not really for it at times, but I’ll do it,” Okongwu said. “But it’s not something I’m eager to do. I’m just not like that. I just play basketball, man, that’s what I’m here for. Not for the spotlight, none of that.” Latimore, who doubles as an English teacher at Chino Hills, was also a part of Onyeka’s support system. He recalled assigning his class a three-page reflective narrative essay about an experience that changed their life.  Nnamdi died three days later from brain injuries.center_img “It was like watching a movie from his writing,” Latimore said. “That horrible, tragic event — but the way he was able to articulate that, it was pretty incredible just to read a 17-year-old at the time writing about the loss of his brother. And, just tragic, but at the same time, incredibly written language.” Onyeka, an incoming eighth grader at the time, wanted to carry on his brother’s legacy. Since then, Onyeka has played every basketball game with his brother’s memory in heart and Nnamdi’s No. 21 on his jersey. He was only 17 years old and had finished his second season playing varsity basketball at Chino Hills less than four months prior. Nnamdi was a gifted athlete who led the school to a then-program-best 29-6 record his junior year and had been scouted by several colleges.  Onyeka and his mother Kate are close, and they relied on each other to get through the tragedy. “Every time you see them, you just have a huge smile — I have a huge smile on my face because they’re just such nice people,” Enfield said of the Okongwu family. “They’re very caring and loving. And take the basketball away, their whole family is just someone you just enjoy being around.” Dennis Latimore, Okongwu’s coach at Chino Hills for the last two years of his high school career, has watched his success brew for a while.  Latimore, who played Division I basketball himself, would often work with the post players in practice. It was then that the 6-foot-8, 230-pound former Arizona and Notre Dame forward knew he had something special on his hands. Okongwu racked up 35 points — 1 fewer than Williamson — in a 6-point Chino Hills victory. He added 14 rebounds and five blocks to Williamson’s six and two, respectively.  Okongwu? Not so much. Nine miles from Hollywood, in the second largest city in the United States and the epicenter of the current basketball landscape, there’s a 6-foot-9 freshman who’s perfectly content whether the cameras are trained on him or not. “I’m just now used to big matchups,” Okongwu said. “I’m used to being in the limelight. I’m used to being in a big atmosphere, you know, all the attention. So it transferred over here to college ball, so I’m not really afraid or tame or nervous like I would be or any other incoming freshman would be.” Okongwu’s competitiveness — which made him clap back at Mobley about winning more state championships after Mobley said he held the all-time one-on-one advantage between the two — shows on the court, but it’s subtle, not at all in-your-face. He won’t try to make himself the center of attention anywhere. After experiencing that kind of spotlight throughout his entire Chino Hills career, Okongwu was unfazed by the even brighter lights of the NCAA. “I just knew my mom was hurting, so I just had to stay strong for her, knowing that everything was gonna be alright,” Onyeka said. “She was gonna be alright. My little siblings were all gonna be alright. We were all hurting, but that’s the way life goes.” Mobley has been around Okongwu for quite some time. The top two recruits in the state played together with the Compton Magic Amateur Athletic Union team back in eighth grade. An alumnus of Chino Hills High School and its wildly successful basketball program, Okongwu came to USC with three state championships and back-to-back California “Mr. Basketball” awards under his belt. He was also the No. 2 overall recruit in the state, trailing only Trojan teammate and fellow forward Isaiah Mobley.  Okongwu jumped onto the national stage in January of his junior year when Chino Hills traveled to Springfield, Mass. to take on current New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson and Spartanburg Day School.  (Photo: James Wolfe, Design: Kitty Huang l Daily Trojan) So when Okongwu banked in a buzzer-beating prayer from USC’s own free-throw line to end the first half last Thursday against Arizona, how did he celebrate? By parading around the court, screaming along with the Galen Center crowd, posing for photographers by the baseline?  “I don’t like to be in a lot of drama or nothing like that — I just like to stay in my lane,” Okongwu said. “I see other people’s mistakes, I just steer away from what they’re doing. I don’t be in the wrong groups. You know, I stay true to myself … I’m at school just low key. Just put AirPods in and going class to class, minding my business.” Okongwu’s Chino Hills teams were consistently among the best in the country. He played with all three of the Ball Brothers: Lonzo his freshman year and LiAngelo and LaMelo his freshman and sophomore years. Chino Hills won the California Interscholastic Federation state championship in Okongwu’s freshman, junior and senior years, and the team put together a 60-game winning streak across his freshman and sophomore years. But based on the way USC forward Onyeka Okongwu has taken the Pac-12 and the NCAA by storm this year, it’s hard for the cameras to look anywhere else. Okongwu has grabbed college basketball by the horns, posting 16.2 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game en route to becoming a possible Pac-12 Freshman of the Year selection and high NBA Draft lottery pick.  After a quick swarm by some teammates, Big O bolted for the locker room, a wide grin on his face, one finger pointed up toward the sky.last_img read more

first_img24 January 2014 The government remains committed to finding options for the safe release of South African teacher Pierre Korkie, who is being held hostage in Yemen, Deputy International Relations and Cooperation Minister Ebrahim Ebrahim said after his visit to the country on the weekend. Speaking at a media briefing in Pretoria on Thursday, Ebrahim said he had met with representatives of the Yemen security services, the deputy minister of foreign affairs, the prime minister and the president of Yemen. In addition to this, Ebrahim had appeared on Yemeni television to appeal to the kidnappers for Korkie’s release. Ebrahim said details of the discussions could not be divulged at the moment, but that he had received a comprehensive report with the latest information regarding the kidnapping. “We used our engagements to seek advice and look into what Yemen and South Africa can do together to secure the release,” he said. Korkie and his wife Yolande, who had been living in Yemen for four years, were captured in May last year in the Yemeni city of Taiz. Yolande was released on 10 January without any ransom being paid, but the militants have demanded R32-million to release Korkie. “The Yemeni authorities, who have considerable experience in dealing with situations of this type, emphasised that the motive of the kidnapping was not political,” Ebrahim said. “It was confirmed [to me] that South Africans are not the only ones targeted and that it was a case of mistaken identity.” Foreigners were frequently kidnapped in Yemen by al-Qaida militants or tribesmen, who demanded a ransom for the release of their prisoners. Currently, eight other foreign nationals are being held hostage in areas that are not under government control. In Korkie’s case, they had issued an execution threat if the ransom was not paid. The kidnappers extended the deadline for the ransom money to be paid last week Friday, by 21 days. On Wednesday, disaster relief organisation Gift of the Givers said the kidnappers had contacted them via SMS asking them about the ransom. The kidnappers later sent a picture of a bomb belt after the organisation said the government did not negotiate with terrorists. Ebrahim said although the threats were being taken seriously, they remained hopeful that Korkie would be released unharmed. The deputy minister said the government’s position was clear and that it did not pay ransom under any circumstances. “This is not only a South African policy but the international norm of governments across the world … We do not negotiate with the kidnappers, we work with the government of that country.” Regarding reports that the family was trying to raise funds for Korkie’s release, Ebrahim said that this was a private family initiative in which the government was not involved. Despite no warning having been issued to South Africans travelling to Yemen, Ebrahim advised people to be careful when travelling in conflict areas and to register with the voluntary registration service Registration of South Africans Abroad. This service is provided in the event that there is a need to contact citizens travelling or living outside of the country to offer important advice on a natural disaster, civil unrest or a family emergency. Source: read more

first_imgAustralia have wrapped up the Womens Open Trans-Tasman test series with a dominant display in the second test.In worsening conditions at Rotorua International Stadium, it looked like the trend from the first match of the day may continue for the women as the Touch Blacks opened the scoring through Tay-a Antonievic.It would prove to be the only time the hosts crossed the line for the half as the Aussies went onto score four unanswered tries in the first half for a 4-1 lead.The first of those was to Lizzie Campbell before Sammy Rodgers held onto a long ball from Manly teammate Danni Davis in difficult conditions to get the Australians in front. A Hannah Dyball first half double on the left hand side rounded out the first half scoring giving the Aussies a comfortable lead at the break.The girls picked up where they left off in the second stanza with tries to Marriki Watego and Dani Davis to push the lead out to five before the Touch Blacks could find the line again bringing the score back to 6-2 through McKayler Moore.Watego was back at it again soon after to pick up her second of the night and a with a Hannah Dyball hat-trick in the bag the Australians cruised to a comfortable 8-5 win and an unassailable 2-0 series lead heading into tomorrow’s third and final test.last_img read more

first_imgTORONTO – The Greater Toronto Area real estate market closed out 2017 with a big drop in December home sales, which were down 7.1 per cent from the previous year and down nearly 33 per cent from November’s level.The Toronto Real Estate Board said Thursday there were 92,394 sales through its MLS system in 2017, down from 113,040 in the previous year and the lowest annual sales since 2013 when 87,049 units were sold.December sales dropped to 4,930 properties, from 5,305 in December 2016, while the average sales price was $735,021 — the second-lowest of any month in 2017 and only slightly better than August’s $731,606.Various real estate experts have said previously that a set of policies introduced by the Ontario government in April produced the desired market slowdown in Toronto during the second and third quarters following a hot first quarter.Some observers have suggested that buyers and lenders might be more cautious given new federal stress-testing rules, which came into force Jan. 1, and opt for lower-priced properties.“Much of the sales volatility in 2017 was brought about by government policy decisions,” TREB president Tim Syrianos said in a statement.“Looking forward, government policy could continue to influence consumer behaviour in 2018, as changes to federal mortgage lending guidelines come into effect.”The average selling price for December in the GTA was $735,021, up a slim 0.7 per cent from the same month of 2016, while the board’s home price index was up 7.2 per cent after adjusting for different types of properties.The Toronto board’s director of market analysis, Jason Mercer, said home price growth in the second half of 2017 differed substantially depending on market segment.“The detached market segment — the most expensive on average — experienced the slowest pace of growth as many buyers looked to less expensive options,” Mercer said.“Conversely, the condominium apartment segment experienced double-digit growth, as condos accounted for a growing share of transactions.”In December, only the expensive detached house category — which accounted for 39 per cent of total sales — showed a year-over-year decline.There were 1,938 fully detached houses sold at an average price of $989,970 — which was down 2.5 per cent from a year earlier.Condominiums accounted for the second-biggest category of sales, with 1,562 units sold, but their average price of $503,968 was up 14.4 per cent from December 2016.last_img read more

first_imgCHURCHILL, Man. – Residents of Churchill are devastated after learning efforts to restore rail service to the northern Manitoba town have fallen apart.Hudson Bay Railway said talks broke down on Tuesday after months of negotiation to transfer ownership of the crippled rail line — the community’s sole land link — to a consortium of northern communities.The railway, owned by Denver-based Omnitrax, would only say a sale to the consortium may no longer be possible.“Despite our best efforts to find common ground on certain key issues, it now appears that this transaction has fallen apart,” the company said in a statement. “This outcome is unexpected and very unfortunate. We offer our apologies to all those who depend on the line.”That was cold comfort for Rhoda de Meulles, who owns the local hardware store with her husband and can’t afford to keep flying in supplies.“We are not going to make it,” she said.“This town can’t do it,” Dale de Meulles added.The rail line was damaged by severe flooding more than a year ago and Omnitrax has said it cannot afford the repairs. Since then, goods and people have had to be flown into the subarctic community at much higher cost.Federal regulators ruled last month that the Hudson Bay Railway has a legal obligation to fix and maintain the line, although the company has said it will appeal the decision.Christian Sinclair, chief of the Opaskwayak Cree Nation and co-chair of the One North consortium negotiating to take ownership of the rail line, said he was completely surprised by Hudson Bay Railway’s statement.“We were caught by surprise and we are still working together as a consortium to get a deal done here.”Churchill Mayor Mike Spence and Sinclair later put out a brief statement saying the “buying group is united.”“We remain at the table and we fully support the efforts to conclude a reasonable deal.”Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr, who was in Churchill on Tuesday, declined an interview request, but his office issued a statement saying Canada will find a solution.“This situation has had significant impacts to the town of Churchill and the communities along the line,” the statement said.Repairs to the railway must start within two weeks if they are to be completed before winter, the de Meulles said. Without the rail, they will have to order a year’s worth of supplies to be brought in by a cargo ship from Quebec.It has meant costs for packaging and shipping are completely unsustainable, they said. But locking the door for good, will be the very last option.“Our life is Churchill,” Dale de Meulles said.“To us, it’s one day at a time and that’s how we operate now, one day at a time,” his wife said. “We see what happens from there.”— With files from Steve Lambert in WinnipegNote to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version misspelled the last name of Rhoda de Meulles.last_img read more

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The City of Fort St. John has announced the dates it will be gathering the thoughts of residents on the topic of cannabis retail operations.At a special meeting on Tuesday, councillors voted in favour of pushing back the estimated completion date for implementing a bylaw to govern where retailers would be able to sell recreational cannabis to gather more feedback from residents. The delay was due to the federal law decriminalizing cannabis not likely being implemented by the federal government’s previously targeted July 1st date.The City’s Communications Coordinator Ryan Harvey said in a release today that while both the Federal and Provincial governments have outlined the laws regarding recreational Cannabis, each municipality is able to define land use and the placement of Cannabis Retail stores. Harvey said that City Council and staff are committed to ensuring the required zoning amendment is in place when federal legalization occurs.  Based on previous discussions, the city has identified four main governing topics regarding the location of cannabis retail locations:  Permitted commercial zones Distance from schools Distance from parks Distance between other Cannabis Retail storesThe City says that there are three ways residents can comment on the City’s proposals. The first two are a series of Dot-mocracy events hosted by the City this week.  The first will take place at the Totem Mall this Thursday from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., and the second will take place at the Fort St. John Farmers’ Market this Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Residents can also fill out an online survey, which launched today on the City’s Let’s Talk page: The online survey runs until June 4th.last_img read more